Today the game Monopoly officially turns 80 years old. That’s right this classic has stood the test of time. I had the chance to help celebrate with Mr. Monopoly last month and decided to host a little game and party for him when I had family visiting.
With this big anniversary Monopoly has come out with a special 80th Anniversary Edition game. I love how the pieces represent each decade and while we did miss the little green and red house we liked the simplicity of the wooden ones.
Of course what would our celebration be without our top hats, bow ties and mustaches.
It was a fun evening strategizing what properties to buy and who would be the 1st person out. I threw in some fun facts about the history of the game as we went and 3 hours later we had our winner; my Dad.
I thought I would share some of the fun facts I learned:
- The character locked behind the bars is called Jake the Jailbird. Officer Edgar Mallory sent him to jail.
- The longest Monopoly game in history lasted for 70 straight days.
- Escape maps, compasses and files were inserted into Monopoly game boards smuggled into POW camps inside Germany during World War II. Real money for escapees was slipped into the packs of Monopoly money.
- Over 20 tokens have been cast since the Monopoly game was introduced in 1935 such as the horse, dog, car, elephant, purse and lantern.
- More than six billion little green houses and 2.25 billion red hotels have been “constructed” since 1935.
So tell me what’s your favorite token to use in Monopoly?
Disclosure: I received a gift bag for attending a Hasbro event in which I was gifted this game. As always all opinions are 100% my own.