Arrrr, me matey’s. Today I’m sharing the sneaky snook DIY Captain Hook costume which is easy to make and super affordable.
Oh this is really one of my favorite costumes, and I loved how cute and simple it was to make.
DIY Captain Hook Costume
Captain Hook Costume Supplies Needed:
- Red Sweatshirt – Adult (Mine is a size small)
- White felt
- Gold trim (around 2 yards)
- Red foam hat (this was a cowboy hat from the dollar tree)
- white feather
- White Velcro®
- Basic sewing supplies and machine
- White shirt (C actually wore a girls shirt with ruffles)
- Black Pants
How To Make A Captain Hook Costume With A Sweatshirt:
- Cut a straight line directly down the center front of the sweatshirt
- Cut the bottom ribbing and wrist section off
- Try on the child to see where you need to make alterations
- Sewed directly in the back a seam to make it smaller. I also did seams in the arms to make them thinner and the sides.
- Try the coat on the child and see if you need to cut or alter anything length wise
- Sew the shoulders. I needed to make a shoulder pad area so I hand stitched it to give the affect
- Trim the perimeter of the coat with the gold trim.
- Add a small piece of Velcro® to make the coat stay/lay flat
- Cut 2 pieces of white felt and add to the arm holes
- The hat. Turn the cowboy hat sideways and push up the sides and hot glue them
- Add a feather
- Hook- Mine is made of foam and elastic
- Draw on a mustaches with an eyeliner pencil
That’s it. It’s not as hard as you think. It didn’t take a ton of time and my kids are still playing with this costume. It really is one of my favorite ones. I just regret not taking more pictures of him because he was the cutest Captain Hook.
originally published sept 2015.